Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Our Spelling Bee Champion!






Natalie came home from school with a list of words a while back. She wanted to be in the all Kindergarten spelling bee at her school. Well, she never wanted to study much until the week of the event - so every night last week we practiced with her until she didn't want to do it anymore. The night of the event arrived and we got there to see that she was the very first name on the list so she had to go first. She stepped up to the microphone and spelled her first word correctly "m-e". She didn't even seem very nervous even though there were about 200 people there. The second round she got "hug", then "milk", then "off", and then came the one that did her in - "away". By this time there were only three kids left so she had to have a spell-off for fourth place. She got the word "knot" as in I have a knot in my shoelace (pretty tricky for someone kindergarten). She stepped up to the microphone and confidently said "k-n-o-t". I think the crowd was a little surprised because people let out a little cheer when she got it right. The other boy got "want" and spelled it wrong so Natalie is the alternate for the district spelling bee (which will be in May while we're in Utah). We were so proud of her for being so brave and being able to get up and actually think in front of all those people. We're pretty sure she was the crowd favorite because she looked so cute up there - but we're biased so you can judge for yourself! Great job Natalie!

12 comments:

Kyle and Marci said...

What a great accomplishment Natalie! She is so cute, and I can't believe that her school has a spelling bee. I think it is great!

Cailean said...

Wow, she must have felt so happy and proud afterwards! That is very impressive that she can spell those words. I am also impressed with a school that even has a spelling bee!

Rose said...

Hooray Natalie! Great job!

Paul and Natalie McB said...

Oh Michelle! This makes me want to cry! She is so grown up. She's always the crowd favorite, are you kidding me? She is the cutest little girl ever, and then the way she talks is so stinkin cute it makes her even more adorable. I miss you guys. I can't wait to see you in a few months!

Sullivan Family said...

oh my gosh, she really was #1!!! ha ha. high five, little nat!

Adele said...

Yay Natalie!! You're amazing!! Josh and I are so proud of you and can't wait to see you again!! Love you!

Danielle said...

Way to go! No pun intended. :)

I know you must be proud of Natalie because I know I am.

I'll have to give her a high five when I see her.

~Danielle

Jen said...

What a fun experience. She is so cute

Kati said...

Great job, Nat! She looks adorable :)

Erka said...

Good job, Natalie! You are so smart and I am sure you were by far the cutest little girl there!

Carrie and Jeff said...

I think she is the cutest---for sure! Congrats Natalie! I'm excited you're coming to Utah in May. We must get together!

Heidi said...

Okay, that is awesome! Hi, Michelle! I found you on Laura's blog. Your kids are the cutest and getting so old. I am still SICK about the fact that you were supposed to be in our ward and then just left us in the dust. So, not fair. I hear you may be coming down next weekend? Can't wait and Ginger will be so excited!