Monday, June 30, 2008

California trip





















Between May and June we feel like we are road-tripped out for awhile. We made the drive down to California (14hr) for a family reunion and had so much fun. For the record I will say it was worth it even with Lincoln puking in the backseat from winding down the canyon outside of Oregon coming into California. It was that fun a trip. ---By the way the first town in Cali is siskiyou, and so there's a sign that reads, "Siskiyou" right after the sign saying, "Leaving Oregon" That made us laugh.








I think the reason it was so fun was because the reunion was a blast--we rented wave runners one of the days--and the camp sight, called family camp, was so fun. There were flush toilets and little cabins that all surrounded the fire pit. We were right by Shaver lake so we spent most of the day there. After the runion Kurt's mom was sweet enough to take the kids for a night so Kurt and I could go up to Yosemite and stay the night. Kurt and I wanted to try to make it to the top of half-dome. Kurt hiked it when he was younger but I wasn't so sure I could make it to the top especially after reading about it online. Anyway, i'm proud to say we did it and it really wasn't that bad. I was tired but we made pretty good time. And the cables weren't as hard as they looked. I had seen pictures of the cables before but they were way more intimidating in person. (Click on the picture of Kurt and I together and you can see them in the background) Once you were on them though they weren' that bad. I had an almost empty water bottle on the outside pocket of my backpack and at one point it somehow came lose while I was on the cables. It bounced down and down and down until we couldn't see it anymore---that was a little creepy. It was crazy how high up we were. We figured it out and we hiked over 20 miles overall. The trail was really beautiful and there's a stream we soaked our feet in on the way back down. It made me want to try other really cool hikes.
You have to click on the pictures and see them full screen to really appreciate how pretty the hike was. And how good lookin' my husband is. . .speaking of notice his t-shirt? There were a lot of hikers at the top that noticed and asked if he could fly them back down the mountain. Cute.








13 comments:

Adele said...

Hey!!! You guys are home!! Whew! Half dome looks awesome! Wish we could have gone, but I guess we'll just have to plan to go next summer or something. Hmm... so we're looking fervently for dentists around here! Seriously... we are asking everyone we know... Love you guys! It was so good to see you!

Kati said...

Holy terrifying! (the cables) How fun that whole trip must have been. How did the kids do camping? Even though we were together so much last week we still haven't caught up on our trip stories :) Are those all grandkids in the last picture? Wow.

Heidi said...

You're an animal! Good job on the hike. 20 miles is a LONG way and those cables totally look intimidating, but now I know what you were describing. What beautiful scenery though. Very pretty area.

Melissa Tiek said...

I totally would have turned around once I saw those cables. That is freaky! And Maya looks older now than she did in May and Linc definitely doesn't look so red-headed compared to his cousins...

Lisa said...

Michelle,
Fun to find your blog! I found it through Belky's blog. Hope things are going well for your family. Are you guys still living up north?

Cailean said...

Where's your Wonder Woman t-shirt? Awesome job and what a fun time! It is also cute to see Lincoln with his red-haired family :) I'm glad you posted again!

~Aimee~ said...

The pictures are great! Glad you had such a good times. :-)

Carrie and Jeff said...

What a fun vacation. That is so great that you guys got to go do some fun stuff by yourselves. We need a vacation like that, but it's kinda hard with a 3 month old.

Paul and Natalie McB said...

I think I would have needed a new pair of shorts for the way back down! That's what looks scary to me! It looks like so much fun! We miss you guys. I hope we can all go on a big trip together sometime!

Tami and Jon said...

Holy cow michelley you weren't kidding! That boulder is huge! Way to go!! How fun that must have been, and tough. Quite the accomplishment.

Steve Tiek said...

Wow, those cables do look insane... kudos. This all makes me excited for the subway hike we're doing with the young men in a month, it's an 8 hr hike through Zion's slot canyons.

By the way, those look like my green shorts your wearing just modified a little to fit you... all this time Kurt blamed mom.

Steve Tiek said...

Wow, those cables do look insane... kudos. This all makes me excited for the subway hike we're doing with the young men in a month, it's an 8 hr hike through Zion's slot canyons.

By the way, those look like my green shorts your wearing just modified a little to fit you... all this time Kurt blamed mom.

Steve Tiek said...

Hey it left my comment twice. Oh well it just makes you look popular when you have more comments.

your welcome