Thursday, November 20, 2008

I just recently re-read one of my favorite books, "Mitten Strings to god" (given to me by Rebecca--thanks again!) I love what that book helps me do as a mother. It centers me and helps me reevaluate my routines and schedule. It reminds me how to maintain simplicity in a hectic world. I love how peaceful we can make our homes if we try. Some things I have implemented from the book that have been wonderful:
  • candles at dinner time every night---the kids love it and if they haven't said the words, "gross, sick, or yucky, and they actually try to eat whatever I make they get to blow the candle out when we're done.
  • (chapter on peace) Turning on our fire (I know, sad huh.) and listening to music in the dark (We listened to "When Christmas Comes To Town" from Polar express a couple times. They all three ended up on my lap. It really felt like heaven.
  • Reading books with a flashlight by the fire
I just realized all three of these things involve the lights out.

6 comments:

Belkycita said...

Wow, I like the idea of the candle light dinner.
Thanks, there is always room for improvement.

Christina said...

I love that book - I am so glad that I had a chance to read it again and during this time of year. I feel like it helps center me.

We made the pretzels (with the recipe from the book) the other day and the kids loved it!

Miss Debbie Tiek said...

Wow! What a good Mom you are Michelley. I love you guys. Mama T

Heidi said...

Michelle,I hope you don't mind that I have read your blog. I know it is private but somehow I came acrossed it while reading someone elses from our ward! Thank you for your help on Saturday with the Pizzas. I am glad you and your family could come. It was fun seeing Natalie outside of church! The other day I had a migrain headache so Sami and I ate dinner in the dark with just the fireplace on! It was so much fun! I'll have to read that book!

Ginger said...

It sounds like a book that I should read. It's true that those quiet "intimate" times as a family can make all the difference in our patiences and attitude.

John and Laura said...

What great ideas. I'll try some of those. It's something that kids would remember and love. Thanks for the inspiration!